Your roof is designed to protect your home from a variety of threats. It will stop water, debris, and even pests. Every roof needs a little maintenance during the year. Several tips will help you to keep your roof in good condition all year round.
Some Tips To Help Roof In Good Condition:
Replace the Missing or Damaged Shingles Right Away:
You should replace missing or damaged shingles if you find a shingle on your property or if you notice damage when looking at your roof.
- You need to use the same type of shingles and the same nails.
- You should also replace the curling shingles. This will stop water damage under the roof that causes rot.
You Should Keep the Roof Clean:
A power washer can help to remove debris. You need to pay special attention to any mildew, moss, or algae growth. These substances can hold water and cause damage to your roof.
- Cleaning the roof with a solution of water and chlorine bleach can be more effective to kill moss or algae growth fast.
Maintain Your Gutters:
Problems with your gutters can damage your roof during any season. Clogged gutters can send water under your roof. Ice jams in winter can damage the fascia. Hanging gutters can create holes that allow water to enter.
- Your gutters should be kept clear of leaves. They should also be checked regularly to make sure they are attached firmly to your home.
Prune Trees on Your Property:
The overgrown trees can become a major threat to the condition of your roof during the year. Large branches could break and fall due to wind, snow, or rain. Branches could grow into your roof or slam into the roof regularly even if they do not fall.
- You have to keep the trees on your property pruned (trim or cut).
Inspect the Roof Twice Each Year:
You need to inspect the roof twice each year. Once in the spring and once in the fall is usually the best. You need to look at the surface, shingles, and the flashing.
- You also need to go inside and look at the roof for signs of leaks, pest damage, or rotting wood.
Any problems that are detected should be repaired immediately and in the proper way.
You should take every safety precaution possible when inspecting or repairing your roof. You also need to understand when a job really requires the attention of professional roofers. Inspecting your roof regularly and making small repairs can help to keep your roof in good condition throughout the year.